Wednesday, July 20, 2011

As I was going to St Ives

Still raining but drove down to St Ives with grandmum for the day to see the Tate and Hepworth galleries. Liz and I'd visited both 15 years ago, the former then fairly new. I must admit that, for all the clean white lines and fabulous views over the beach and town, the Tate is a cramped affair with not actually that much gallery space. For years there have been plans to extend it and judging from the excavations next door it looks like it's finally going to happen. I think the job's going to Jamie Fobert (at least that's what he told me when when he came to Bangkok four years ago). Anyway, the girls had a great time in Martin Creed's balloon installation and Roman Ondak's Measuring the Universe room.

Barbara Hepworth's studio/garden is smaller still and I find her work 'of its time', but it's well arranged given the space. She worked - and indeed died in a fire - there from 1949-75. Not sure grandmum was too impressed with the art - modernist or contemporary. Amazed that this was her first visit to St Ives in 60 years!  

No comments:

Post a Comment