Monday, May 30, 2011

Joan of Arc

Weird coincidence. While sticking pix in my photo album tonight, I was listening to an 80s compilation which had OMD's Joan of Arc and The Smiths' JoA-referencing Bigmouth Strikes Again back to back... which prompted me to put on In the Nursery's soundtrack to the 1928 silent film, The Passion of Joan of Arc... which got me thinking about the bit in Godard's Vivre sa Vie when Anna Karina watches it in a cinema and starts crying... which got me thinking about the fact that Dreyer's original version went missing for decades and was only found in 1981 in, get this, the janitor's closet of an Oslo mental asylum... which made me look into wikipedia to discover that Joan of Arc died on this very day in 1431... which made me listen to OMD's other version of the song. Circular.  

No comments:

Post a Comment