Sunday, March 14, 2010

49

Today I am still fortysomething. Just. Last night we had friends round for dinner. A lot of wine was drunk so today has been 'leisurely'. Rather awkwardly it's also Mothers Day. By rights the girls and I should have been pampering Liz but I got all the attention. Breakfast on the balcony. A massacred the grapefruits but the croissants were perfect. A few presents: the girls made me nice cards and gave me chocolate. Liz got me a lovely book on China (I'm really excited about the whole thing now), a very bright Paul Smith tie (which I wouldn't have dreamt of buying myself but actually it's great), and cufflinks (funny, that).

What with a hangover and being Sunday, we all took it easy. Watched three Wallace & Gromit videos, had boiled eggs for lunch, did my photo album, listened to YMO's Live in London and Haruomi Hosono's Love, Peace & Trance, had a delicious ice cream cake (with those candles that stay alight even when you blow them out), Gary and Wolfgang phoned, went for a swim and had dinner at our local Italian. Doesn't feel so bad reaching 49. I'm losing my hair and getting a bit of a belly, but I feel early- rather than late-forties. Next year will be a big one though.

NB: I share my birthday with Albert Einstein, Johann Strauss, Jasper Carrott, Quincy Jones and Nicholas Anelka. Fine company.

No comments:

Post a Comment