Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Blue House

Latter day F&D
Beautiful day, which made a trip to Coyaocan all the more pleasant. Coyaocan (which means 'place of the coyotes') is in the south of the city and has a laid-back, bohemian vibe. Until this century it was essentially a small town but has since been swallowed up by the metropolis. Its USP, though, is probably that fact that Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera and Leon Trotsky lived there in the first half of the 20th Century. 
We visited Kahlo's Blue House in which she was born (in 1907), lived in for many years, and died in 1954. It's now a museum. I have a love/hate relationship with Kahlo. Well, 'hate' is way too strong a word. I love her work and she had a fascinating and famously tough life, but I have a problem with her egotism. A third of all her works were self portraits. Me me me. Perhaps if I'd had all the hardships she'd ended (polio, severe injuries in tram crash, 30+ operations, constant physical pain and the emotional trauma of being married to Rivera), then I'd be a bit self-obsessed.
Anyway, beautiful house (bigger than I was expecting), part gallery, part full of her everyday items, and a lovely big garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment