Monday, February 8, 2010

Big building in Kuala Lumpur

I’m in KL. The taxi in from the airport is 30 mins countryside and then, seemingly all of a sudden, 15 mins city. It’s much smaller than Bangkok, traffic not too bad, even their skytrain is a stumpy little thing with only two carriages.

However, the Petronas Towers are still pretty big. Up until a month ago, it was the world’s tallest building at 452m. Taipei 101 is taller in one of the categories that people measure these things by, but both were eclipsed by the just-opened Burj Khalifa in Dubai at 828m. The Petronas building(s) were designed by Cesar Peli, with the towers built by two separate contractors: Korean and Japanese. The Koreans won. I like its twin-symmetry, the steel facade based on Islamic art and the bridge half-way up. Is there anything more I need to say about it? Nope. Aside from the fact that the hotel I'm staying in is opposite, but my view is of a cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment